I love dark chocolate, and I love peanut butter. And if you have not tried the Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Perfect Bars, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good they are. They are high in protein and other good things. However, these bars may be hard to find, or you may wince at the $3 you must pay for a 65g bar. Thus, I worked up a simple recipe for these bars using mostly Aldi purchased ingredients, which will keep the costs low.
For this recipe you will need:
- 1.5 c Natural Peanut Butter (make sure the ingredients are only peanuts and salt – avoid palm oil and additional sugar)
- 0.5 c Raw Honey
- 2 T Coconut Oil
- 0.75 c Non-Fat Dry Milk
- 2 T Coconut Sugar (regular sugar is fine, too, or you may find you do not need this addtional sugar)
- 4 T Vanilla Protein Powder
- 1 T Chocolate Protein Powder
- 0.5 c Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 t Sea Salt
Start by hand mixing the peanut butter with the raw honey. Then, incorporate the coconut oil into the mixture about a tablespoon at a time. Blend together the sugar and dry milk, and then blend these dry ingredients into the mixture. Completely incorporate the protein powder about a tablespoon at a time. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips.
Press the mixture into a 9X9 pan. Sprinkle on some sea salt. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
When the mixture is set after about two hours, cut into 12 bars. The bars are meant to be served chilled. The Perfect Bar ingredients note powdered egg in their recipe. I left out the egg, and the calories and macros of this recipe match closely to the commercial product.
Homemade bar nutritional information per serving